Y12 students will take part from 7 - 11 February 2022. Sixth form students can also choose to take part in school holidays or on an ongoing basis for the equivalent of five days (as long as this is outside their lessons and tutor time).
The many benefits of work experience include the opportunity to:
- Test out and develop career ideas.
- Apply skills in a work environment and develop a greater understanding of the workplace.
- Have something to talk about on a CV, application form or at interview in future.
- Help students to stand out in competitive application processes in future.
- Develop a network of people who could help them in future.
A number of our students have gained part-time jobs, apprenticeships and other opportunities as a direct result of work experience. Most students include skills they have developed on work experience in their CVs and post-18 applications.
Students are encouraged to consider where they would like to work and are expected to find placements themselves, with the support of parents/carers and the support of staff at school. This allows students to build essential skills for future employment (communication, initiative and resilience) and also means that they have control over how far they are prepared to travel, what type of industry they want to work in and so on.
For full details, please see the attached guides at the foot of this page.
We believe that all students should be able to undertake this experience. If you have any particular concerns with regard to your child taking part, please get in touch with Cerys Evans or Bev Simpson in the Careers Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).