(please scroll to bottom of page for Term Time Leave Policy)
Meadowhead School monitors its students' attendance closely and maintains the school attendance registers according to the Education Act 1996.
We regard regular and punctual attendance as essential, and students are expected to arrive in school, suitably equipped, five minutes prior to the commencement of the morning session at 8.30am and be in their form base in good time for registration. Should a student be late, they should report immediately to Student Reception, where a late slip will be issued and details added to the class register. Two or more lates in any given week will result in your child being issued a C3 detention.
Any absence from school has to be recorded as unauthorised unless there is a letter of explanation or telephone call from the parent/carer. "Only the school through the authorised representative, normally a teacher, can grant leave of absence for a student. Parents may not authorise absence."
We ask that parents telephone the school on each day of a student’s absence, a letter of explanation (and where necessary medical evidence) must then be given to the Form Tutor when a student returns.
Sixth Form students are expected to attend all lessons and they should contact the school immediately if there is a problem. The Sixth Form Attendance Policy can be found in the dedicated Sixth Form area of our website
We do not authorise parents/carers to take their child on holiday in term time unless the circumstances are exceptional and at the discretion of the Headteacher. A 'Notification of Term Time Leave' form must be completed (available at the foot of this page)
Term Time Leave Policy (summary)
Please click the document at the foot of the page to view the full 'LA Exceptional Leave During Term Time' policy
The school believes that it is inadvisable for students to miss out on their education by taking holidays during term time. If a planned absence is requested the school follows the Term Time Leave Policy for Sheffield Schools which is summarised below:
- We do not allow parent/carers to take their child on holiday in term time unless the circumstances are exceptional. This is due to changes in the policies and procedures surrounding pupils’ attendance at school.
- If school determines that there are exceptional circumstances, the Head teacher ultimately has the final decision in giving permission as to whether or not the holiday can be authorised.
- To determine whether circumstances are exceptional parents must request leave in writing (letter or email) and the Head teacher will consider the request and make a formal decision.
- If either a request or decision is not made then the absence will be recorded as unauthorised.
- The request must include specific start and end dates.
- Requests must be made 20 days in advance by parent/carer to enable time for school to consider.
- If permission has been granted the holiday will be recorded as an authorised absence.
- If the decision is not to grant permission and the child is taken out of school anyway, the time off will be recorded as an unauthorised absence. Taking unauthorised term time holidays could result in a penalty notice warning and in some cases loss of place at the school.